- Adopt-A-Highway. The Colorado Department of Transportation says that control of roadside litter costs millions of dollars each year. You can help by volunteering to pick up litter alongside Colorado's highways. This program allows groups of volunteers to "adopt a highway" with a sign recognizing the groups' efforts. CDOT takes care of supplying trash bags and hauling away the collected litter.
- Colorado Judicial Learning Center. Those with an interest in the courts can volunteer to help both kids and adults learn about the Colorado justice system.
- Colorado Mental Health Institute at Ft. Logan. The Colorado Department of Human Services needs volunteers to help at this hospital in a range of occupations including working with clients, fundraising, or helping in the gift shop.
- Colorado Parks and Wildlife. Volunteers are essential to many natural resource programs, including wildlife habitat programs and State Parks. If you enjoy being outdoors, there are many great opportunities.
- Colorado State Capitol. The home of our state government also attracts many visitors, and volunteers are needed to guide tours, answer phones, and otherwise help visitors learn about the Capitol, including as a Capitol Ambassador.
- Colorado Volunteer Mobilizer. Here you can sign up to volunteer during hazards and emergencies. Those with experience as physicians, paramedics, nurses, therapists, and veterinarians are especially needed.
- Environmental Leadership Program. This program of the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment matches volunteers with environmentally-focused projects.
- History Colorado and the Colorado State Archives. These agencies offer numerous volunteer opportunities for those interested in the history of our state.
- Serve Colorado. Overseen by Lt. Governor Garcia's office, this program coordinates several annual Days of Service.
Volunteer with the State of Colorado
The State of Colorado offers many volunteer opportunities in a variety of agencies and fields. Some of these opportunities include:
By Amy Zimmer - July 22, 2014
One of the great novelists of the twentieth century, James A. Michener, set one of his best-known novels right here in Colorado. Michener ...
This coming Thursday, April 6, will mark the 100th anniversary of America's entry into World War I. Europe had been embroiled in the Gr...
Everyone knows about Colorado's famous women like Molly Brown and Baby Doe Tabor, but far less has been written about "ordinary&quo...
The health of children and youth is an important consideration in schools. Here are some resources available from our library to help educa...
Buying Easter eggs this week? You may not realize that the eggs you buy must go through a rigorous inspection process by the Colorado Depar...