- Adopt-A-Highway. The Colorado Department of Transportation says that control of roadside litter costs millions of dollars each year. You can help by volunteering to pick up litter alongside Colorado's highways. This program allows groups of volunteers to "adopt a highway" with a sign recognizing the groups' efforts. CDOT takes care of supplying trash bags and hauling away the collected litter.
- Colorado Judicial Learning Center. Those with an interest in the courts can volunteer to help both kids and adults learn about the Colorado justice system.
- Colorado Mental Health Institute at Ft. Logan. The Colorado Department of Human Services needs volunteers to help at this hospital in a range of occupations including working with clients, fundraising, or helping in the gift shop.
- Colorado Parks and Wildlife. Volunteers are essential to many natural resource programs, including wildlife habitat programs and State Parks. If you enjoy being outdoors, there are many great opportunities.
- Colorado State Capitol. The home of our state government also attracts many visitors, and volunteers are needed to guide tours, answer phones, and otherwise help visitors learn about the Capitol, including as a Capitol Ambassador.
- Colorado Volunteer Mobilizer. Here you can sign up to volunteer during hazards and emergencies. Those with experience as physicians, paramedics, nurses, therapists, and veterinarians are especially needed.
- Environmental Leadership Program. This program of the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment matches volunteers with environmentally-focused projects.
- History Colorado and the Colorado State Archives. These agencies offer numerous volunteer opportunities for those interested in the history of our state.
- Serve Colorado. Overseen by Lt. Governor Garcia's office, this program coordinates several annual Days of Service.
Volunteer with the State of Colorado
The State of Colorado offers many volunteer opportunities in a variety of agencies and fields. Some of these opportunities include:
By Amy Zimmer - July 22, 2014
One of the great novelists of the twentieth century, James A. Michener, set one of his best-known novels right here in Colorado. Michener ...
At our library we often get questions about where to find a listing of salaries for state-funded university faculty and staff. Many univers...
January 21 has been designated Squirrel Appreciation Day (I don't make this stuff up). The cute, fuzzy creatures with their amusing acr...
A jet crosses the runway over I-70 at Stapleton International Airport in 1969. Photo courtesy History Colorado . In honor of National A...
Travel between Denver and Boulder in just 8 minutes? It could become a reality. Yesterday the Colorado Department of Transportation rele...