Today, we celebrate Earth Day by not just focusing on trees, but on recycling, sustainability, and the environment. If you are looking for small ways to help the planet -- every day, not just today -- the State of Colorado agencies have a few ideas:
- Adopt-a-Highway: The Colorado Department of Transportation sponsors this program through which volunteers help pick up trash from roadsides.
- Eat at a restaurant that uses locally-produced ingredients. Check the Colorado Proud Restaurant Guide to find out where.
- Teach your kids about the environment. See the Colorado Department of Education's Environmental Education Plan.
- Learn about energy efficient construction from the Colorado Department of Local Affairs.
- Volunteer at a State Park.
- Find a Recycler: View the map and information provided by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.
- Learn about Urban Agriculture from Colorado State University. Shop at farmers' markets, raise your own chickens and goats, and more.