- Monday February 27, 9:30 a.m. - Crawford Elementary School in Aurora Public School District hosts the official kick-off for Colorado Literacy Week. Join Lt. Gov. Garcia and special guests as they highlight some of the innovative community-based initiatives happening across the state to improve early literacy.
- Tuesday February 28, 9:15 a.m. - Please join U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan and Commissioner Robert Hammond for a town hall meeting about education reform, highlighting success in the state of Colorado. The meeting will be held at the Denver School of Science and Technology-Green Valley Ranch Campus. The Secretary will be joined by Lt. Gov. Joe Garcia for a special announcement about "One Book 4 Colorado".
11:30 a.m. - It's all about Summer Reading Programs in Grand Junction as Lt. Gov. Garcia, in partnership with Colorado State Library and the Colorado Department of Education, announces efforts to inspire children to read more pages next summer and unveils the new READ posters. Then it's off for the afternoon to other western slope communities to spotlight early literacy success.
- Wednesday February 29, Noon - Gov. Hickenlooper, Lt. Gov. Garcia, and Christine Benero, President Mile High United Way, release Colorado's Early Literacy Initiative and announce Mile High United Way Social Innovation Fund (SIF) Grantees at the State Capitol.
- Thursday March 1, Lt. Gov. Garcia and Christine Benero, President/CEO of Mile High United Way, visit successful early childhood literacy programs around the state. Locations and times to be announced.
- Friday March 2, National Read Across America Day - Working with partners at the Colorado Education Association and the Colorado Department of Education, Gov. Hickenlooper, Lt. Gov. Garcia, Commissioner Hammond, members of the Cabinet, General Assembly and Colorado Municipal League will highlight the importance of literacy and read to students in classrooms around the state.
This is the day when everyone can share a love for reading with a child Colorado. Call a local school and volunteer to read in a classroom! Visit http://www.readacrossamerica.org/ for more information.